Planning For Long-Term Travel

We understand that long-term travel is sometimes a crucial part of your education career. Whether you are accompanying students abroad for a few weeks or a few months, you’ll have certain travel insurance needs. Knowing exactly how to insure a long-term travel experience will give you the peace of mind you need to stay focused on your work and your students.

Before you choose a plan, do some basic research to make sure it will suit your needs. Check in with your employer to find out if the school has a group travel insurance policy they’d prefer you to enroll in for your trip.

For all trips, you’ll want to find out whether or not your regular health insurance company extends your medical benefits when you’re traveling overseas, or even to other states. Many health insurance providers don’t cover all of the costs associated with care in another country, so you may need to choose a travel insurance plan that offers some travel medical and emergency medical evacuation benefits.

That being said; covering more lengthy trips can present more difficulties. InsureMyTrip for Education does provide plans that give coverage to educators and students traveling longer than 180 days at one time. Even with the high level of medical protection offered on the all-inclusive policy, it will still only provide coverage for medical emergency. So if you require regular treatments, or have prescriptions that may need to be refilled, travel insurance will not cover that, so you may want to make alternate arrangements for this.

Written by on 4/17/15.
Was this helpful?