Frequently Asked Questions

1. What types of plans are available?

InsureMyTrip for Education has a variety of plans that academic travelers can compare to find the right plan for them. You can review the plan details without completing a quote. Or you can complete a quote and compare them side-by-side.

2. What are these plans used for?

These plans mitigate the financial risk to schools, students, parents and other participants as a result of trip cancellations and interruptions caused by injury, illness, terrorism and natural disasters among other reasons. These plans are ideal for K-12 school trips, international study, or any other education related travel.

3. What do the plans cover?

  • Sickness/Accidental Injury/Death of Traveler or Family Member
  • Natural Disasters
  • Weather Events
  • Terrorism
  • Labor Strikes
  • US State Department Travel warnings
  • CDC Travel Warning

(Coverages may not be available in some states)

4. Are tuition costs covered?

Yes, the plan provides reimbursement for all prepaid and non-refundable tuition expenses.

5. Can all high school/college overseas trips be covered?

Yes, all trips can be covered provided that the high school/college insures the cost of all programs for the year and insures all eligible travelers. To learn more about an annual plan for all trips, please email us at [email protected].

6. Who is eligible to purchase an Academic Explorer Plan?

These plans are designed for students, as well as faculty members, and chaperones participating in a school sanctioned trip. Policies are available to K-12 students as well as University. Travelers must be under the age of 71.

7. In the event of a covered loss, who receives payment?

Under an individual plan, payment is made to the “Eligible Person”, i.e., the Student. With a group policy, the travelers can be reimbursed by the school and then the school would receive reimbursement from the insurance company, depending on school procedures.

8. How is terrorism covered?

Terrorism is covered in two ways:

First, if a terrorist incident that occurs in a city listed on the eligible persons’ trip itinerary within 30 days prior to the schedule departure.

Second, if terrorism occurs in a country which is part of the trip, causing the US State Department to issue a travel warning that the eligible person should not travel within that country for a period of time.

9. Is coverage available for Study Abroad trips to countries already on the US State Department Warning list, like Russia or Libya?

Coverage in regards to trip cancellation or interruption for countries currently on the U.S. State Department warning list would not be available.

10. How much does it cost?

Quotes can average between 2% to 6% of the total program cost (tuition, airfare, accommodations, etc.) depending on the plan chosen and the specific trip details.

11. Can students who are foreign nationals also be covered?

Yes, as long as they are attending a US University and are participating on a school sponsored short term travel program inside the US or a school sponsored study abroad program outside the US.

12. Is coverage also available for domestic trips?

Yes, under all plans.

13. Can sickness and medical evacuation coverage be provided in addition to trip cancellation and interruption?

Yes. The Academic Explorer All Inclusive Plans are available and include this protection.

14. Are pre-existing medical conditions excluded?

Pre-existing medical conditions are not excluded but an illness or disease of the body that begins prior to the Effective Date of coverage is not covered unless it suddenly worsens or becomes acute after the Effective Date.

15. How soon in advance does coverage have to be purchased?

In order to have the most available benefits, such as Cancel for Any Reason or Interruption for Any Reason, insurance must be purchased within 15 days of initial trip deposit.

16. How do you submit a claim?

In the event of a claim, the insured must call the claims number provided. They will need to provide notice of the claim within 20 days of loss or as soon as reasonably possible. The insured will also need to provide proof of loss within 90 days, or again as soon as reasonably possible.

17. What coverage is there if a natural disaster, civil unrest, military action, or political instability creates a need to evacuate?

Non-medical evacuation is included in the All-Inclusive plans (Domestic and International) providing $100,000 in coverage. This coverage is not available in all states.

18. Can athletic teams be covered under these plans?

Yes, all plans but the All-Inclusive will cover athletic travel.

19. Who is included in the definition of a family member?

Parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, in-laws

Written by on 9/17/13.
4 people found this not to be helpful.
Was this helpful?