Nearly 90% of U.S. Travelers Hope to Take a Vacation by End Of 2021
Last updated on 03/28/2023
WARWICK, R.I., May 19, 2020 -- InsureMyTrip, the travel insurance authority, announced the results of its latest customer survey. The new poll of roughly 4,000 U.S. respondents reveals that the vast majority of Americans intend on traveling again by the end of 2021.
"When people get more comfortable, they'll continue to go farther and farther away from home, starting with domestic trips and then moving to international, long-term," said InsureMyTrip Director of eCommerce Cheryl Golden.
Future Travel Confidence
Americans are more optimistic about the possibility of future trips than they were a few weeks ago.
- 30 percent polled say they may travel by 2021, at the earliest, and once restrictions are lifted
- 21 percent hope to travel by the end of this year
- 15 percent say they will possibly travel this fall
- 13 percent say travel is not yet on their radar
- 11 percent will likely travel this summer if restrictions are lifted
- 10 percent of travelers will travel as soon as possible
Summer Travel Confidence
- 47 percent of travelers are discouraged from traveling this summer
- 23 percent polled say they are concerned about traveling this summer
- 18 percent remain hopeful
- 12 percent can't wait to take a summer vacation
For international trips, bookings will hinge on the status of coronavirus restrictions and consumer confidence levels in air travel once greater safety measures are in place. Experts agree we still have a long way to go before stabilization occurs.
Domestic trips appear to show stronger signs for a faster rebound.
For both international and domestic trips, travelers should buy travel insurance to guard against covered covid-19 related travel threats. Travelers can visit the Travel Insurance & Coronavirus resource hub for more information on Cancel For Any Reason coverage.
Note: Travel insurance plans with an optional "cancel for any reason" coverage offer the most protection for travelers who may want coverage for COVID-19 related fears. Traditional trip cancellation coverage does not cover COVID-19 related cancellations.
Travel Data Expert:
It's simple. InsureMyTrip finds you the right travel insurance plan, every time. InsureMyTrip is the authority on travel insurance. We are committed to empowering travelers to make the best possible insurance decisions by leveraging our technology, data intelligence, and expertise.