Travelers in Domestic Partnerships

Last updated on 03/27/2023

Travelers in Domestic Partnerships

With almost every policy, if you are traveling with your domestic partner you can be together on the same policy since you reside in the same household. You would also be covered for trip cancellation if either of you are forced to cancel for a covered reason as you would be considered traveling companions. The only time where domestic partnerships can be a little tricky is when you need to file a claim for a non-traveling domestic partner.

With only a few exceptions, most of the companies we represent include domestic partners in their definition of a family member. However, several of them will require a few pieces of information to prove this:

  • Evidence of financial interdependence. This can be anything from joint accounts/credit cards, shared lease or jointly owned property, etc. Some sort of official document to prove that you live together.
  • Proof of cohabitation for a certain period of time prior to purchase of the policy. This tends to vary depending on the company and can range from six months to a year.
  • This one is much less common, but certain companies will also want to see an affidavit of domestic partnership if recognized by the jurisdiction within which you reside.

The bottom line is to always check on the terms and conditions of a policy you may be considering. In the Definitions section of any policy you will find each company's requirements for proving domestic partnership. Make sure that they will allow you to be together on the same plan. Of course you always can call one of our licensed Customer Care representatives as well, who would be happy to assist you in finding this information or point you towards the best policy for your needs.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this article serves as a general overview of benefits and should only be used for informational purposes. Refer to your individual certificate of insurance for specific coverages, exclusions and benefits. When in doubt, please contact one of our licensed agents for additional assistance.