Family vacations and trips seem so common place, you may ask yourself why travel insurance is important for them. Here’s where we come in – we will explain the huge benefits of comprehensive travel insurance for your next family trip.
4 Reasons to Buy Travel Insurance for Your Family Vacation
- Peace of mind you aren’t losing money if you need to cancel the trip
- Ability to reimburse for necessities if your baggage is delayed
- Extra coverage for expensive medical care while traveling
- Ability to travel free from worry and to focus on your family memories
From trip cancellation insurance to extra medical coverage, a comprehensive travel insurance plan has you covered. Below you'll find these coverages explained with examples on how each can benefit the traveler.
Trip Cancellation & Cancel for Any Reason Coverage
- A child or parent become ill and cannot fly at time of departure
- The school schedule is extended due to inclement weather, bleeding into your departure date
- A death in the family unrelated to a pre-existing condition
- A complication related to your pregnancy prohibits travel by order of the doctor
Trip cancellation and Cancel for Any Reason coverage are two of the most popular benefits used by travelers. Even if you aren’t taking a “dream vacation”, trip expenses can add up quickly. Every plan is different and will have varying list of covered reasons for standard trip cancellation insurance.
If you are concerned that the unforeseen reason you may need to cancel is not listed on your plan, consider optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage when choosing a plan, if you are eligible. While standard trip cancellation for a covered reason can reimburse up to 100% of the trip cost, Cancel for Any Reason reimburses up to 75% of the trip cost for cancellation due to any reason at least two days prior to departure.
Baggage Loss, Delay or Damage
- Your baggage or covered personal items are lost or stolen while traveling
- Baggage is delayed by the airline for the minimum time allowed on the plan
- Baggage arrives damaged to destination or to home
When you are counting heads, your mind may not always be focused on luggage. When the unfortunate happens – like losing a bag during the trip – your travel insurance is there to help. Available assistance services may be able to help reunite you with your bag, if possible.
If your bags are delayed by your airline on your outward journey, leaving you and your family without basic necessities, you may be able to file a claim for reimbursement of those items you purchased, so save your receipts. The coverage amount on your plan is typically per person, not per plan – so keep that in mind.
Usually baggage coverage, especially in the case of lost or damaged luggage is secondary to any coverage offered by your travel supplier or a homeowners/renters insurance policy if available. When filing a claim with your travel insurance company, be sure to have completed any claims process with the travel supplier or any other insurance companies first.
Travel Medical Insurance
- A child is injured while at the beach or by the pool
- A family member become ill due to food poisoning or allergies
- An emergency occurs landing someone in the hospital
When you are traveling, especially out of the country, medical coverage is not always provided by your primary health insurance. Traveling with children can increase the risk of landing in the emergency room. Regardless if your child is getting a few stitches on his knee or staying overnight for something more serious, you do not want to be stuck with a large medical bill because you weren’t covered properly.
Travel medical insurance fills the gaps of your primary health insurance. It will help reimburse bills for covered medical treatments that your health insurance did not pay. Be sure to have copies of the invoices as well as the medical records prior to leaving the medical facility. They will be harder to obtain once you leave.